How do sustainable logistics work?
DB Schenker is committed to sustainable logistics - the goal: to become the leading green logistics service provider by 2020. Wherever transport and sustainability are to go hand in hand, it is important to keep CO² emissions as low as possible. We will explain to you here how DB Schenker does this despite an increase in transports.
Sustainable logistics at DB Schenker
DB Schenker, the logistics giant, is tackling this challenge in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner - without losing sight of profitability. The logistics group has already launched a large number of initiatives and further "green" measures and approaches are being added perpetually. If you summarise it all, you get these central points:
- Decrease transport routes: Of course, wherever there is no transport, there is no CO².
- Ideally relieve means of transport: So-called multimodal supply chains combine the advantages of individual modes of transport. Trucks, for example, are very flexible, but as soon as possible load their transports onto trains that are more CO²-efficient.
- Use environmentally-friendly modes of transport: DB Schenker’strains not only relieve the strain on the roads, they also have the best CO² balance and sometimes run completely emission-free.
- Keep the technology state-of-the-art: The trains, trucks and aircraft are equipped with modern, environmentally friendly drive technology. DB Schenker’s storage buildings are also modernised and energy-efficient.
- Research for development: DB Schenker is supporting the construction of the world's first hybrid power plant that can store electricity generated from renewable energies and feed it into the power grid if required.
- Training the staff: An efficient and environmentally friendly way of driving as well as ideal loading and packaging have to be learned.
- Green customer consultation: DB Schenker analyses the CO² emissions of the entire supply chain for its customers and helps them achieve their climate protection targets.
The list of smaller and larger measures goes on a lot further. What becomes evident, however, is that DB Schenker is not only aware of its environmental responsibility, but it is also turning this responsibility into action..